This is considered a dutch snackfood and is called a kapsalon , which translates to “hairdresser” . I actually seen it in a video and had to find a recipe ! I found quite a few but it called for a meat called shawarma , which I traded out for steak . I failed to get step by step pictures as I wasn’t sure I was going to be posting it but once I tasted it I knew I HAD TOO . Hopefully you will understand my directions as it is pretty simple .
- Small bag of frozed seasoned fries
- 10-12 ounces of steak sliced thin against the grain
- 8 slices of guida cheese
- 5 Tbs mayo
- 2Tbs plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbs minced garlic
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cucumber peeled and sliced
- 1/2 purple onion diced
- 1 cup mushrooms diced
- S & P
- Start by laying the fries in a single layer on a baking pan and cook according to package instructions .
- While the fries are baking cook the steak in a skillet on the stove top with your favorite spices ( I used Beasts secret blend ) cook until throughly done and nice and tender .
- Then I added a nice teaspooon of butter to the steak and tossed in the mushrooms and cooked until tender .
- Next comes the garlic sauce . mix the mayo, yogurt, minced garlic and lemon juice and stir it until completely mixed (feel free to add more garlic if you want more garlicky flavor) add salt and pepper to taste .
- in a 8X8 baking dish cover the bottom with the cooked fries and then top that with the steak mixture and drizzle a little of the garlic sauce over the steak , cover the entire thing in gouda cheese and place in oven on 350′ until all the cheese is melted and then turnon the broiler on low just to get a nice brown crust but be careful it will happen quick . once it is a golden brown take it out and top it with the lettuce , tomato, cucumber, onion and nice helping of the garlic sauce and prepare yourself for the taste explosion that is about to happen !
The mixture of the crisp cucumber and the garlic sauce is a nice fresh taste against the savory steak .
I hope you love it as much as we did and the possibilities are endless with this one… could use chicken or pork .
Until next time … Cheers !!